The Secondary Library
Welcome to the Secondary Library
The Secondary Library opening times are 7.05 to 1.45, including break times. The Library is closed each day during second registration from 12.30 until 12.45.
A guide for parents and carers.
Senior Library Assistant
Support for learners
The Secondary Library caters for learners from Years 7 to 13 and supports literacy, reading and academic research. The Librarian works with the learners on research, study skills and academic honesty, holding regular workshops for the International Baccalaureate students.
The Secondary Library is a thriving place, used regularly for teaching by the English department and other subjects. Learners enjoy borrowing books, reading and generally enjoying the Library. During break times it is busy with young people exchanging their books, reading, playing chess, completing projects and doing homework in the quiet study area.
Library staff work hard at keeping in touch with learners’ reading interests and source the latest books. There is also a small collection of DVDs and audio books available for short loans.
There are daily papers to keep up with the news, along with magazines and journals. A great range of reference books are available for research or interest.
The Library catalogue (OPAC) can be searched to find a specific book or to browse a subject and see what is available.
OPAC - Online Public Access Catalogue
The Library uses the Oliver library management system for issuing library books. There is an online searchable catalogue (OPAC - Online Public Access Catalogue ) of all library resources. This system can be used to identify gaps and trends in borrowing and to keep a record of which books learners have borrowed.
Five desktop computers and Wifi can be used with the consent of Library staff or teachers. Learners are allowed to use their own devices for research purposes, only with permission.
Suggested reading lists. Books available in the Library.
QNL online resources for DBS
Qatar National Library (QNL) has a large selection of subscriptions to online resources which are available to individuals and schools who have registered with them. As the resources are delivered through QNL this means that the full resources can be accessed, for example full text articles.
DBS have registered for the following:
- Dar Ammandumah (Arabic)
- Alexander Street (music)
- Naxos (music)
- Britannica Academic
Descriptions and access details below:
Please be sure to use these links otherwise you will not be able to access the full resources.
This collection includes:
- Go ! (incorporating Grolier)
Award-winning Scholastic GO! is the go-to digital resource to provide authentic nonfiction content and improve literacy skills.
Scholastic BookFlix is a new online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks from Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning. The engaging way to link fact and fiction, BookFlix reinforces early reading skills and introduces children to a world of knowledge and exploration.
TrueFlix™ is the only online resource that leverages the award-winning True Books content to help students hone literacy skills, build knowledge of subject-area content, and cultivate 21st Century skills through the inquiry process.
This collection includes Ebscohost Research Databases
Select this to see further resources and try them. For example :
- Middle School Plus is a useful database of information
EBSCO's Newswires provides near real-time access to top world-wide news from Associated Press, United Press International, PR Newswire, Xinhua, CNN Wire, and Business Wire on a continuous basis. This content is monitored by EBSCO and relevant results are provided when users enter searches in EBSCOhost. This collection includes AP Financial News, AP Top News, AP WorldStream, AP U.S. Politics & Government, AP 50 State Reports, UPI Security Industry, UPI Emerging Threats, UPI Business, UPI Entertainment, UPI Sports, UPI Top News, Arabia 2000, and more. End users can immediately access the full text of the web content, by following the link in the record. The index to the full text content in EBSCO Newswires is held for a rolling 30-day archive by EBSCO, so users can enjoy the previous 30 days of news relating to their search interests.
When this page opens, the click on “continue” and this will take you to the main search page “Power Search”.
What is PowerSearch?
Discover a great collection of articles from thousands of Gale resources – magazines, journals, newspapers and books along with videos, images and podcast content – all brought to you by your library. Your search should always start here. See image on the right (click to enlarge).
- Classical Music in Video
- Dance in Video
- Music Online: African American Music Reference
- Music Online: American Song
- Music Online: Classical Music Library
- Music Online: Classical Music Reference Library
- Music Online: Classical Scores Library
- Music Online: Contemporary World Music
- Music Online: Garland Encyclopedia of World Music
- Music Online: Jazz Music Library
- Music Online: Listening
- Music Online: Popular Music Library
- Music Online: Reference
- Music Online: Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries
- Opera in Video
- VAST: Academic Video Online
Use this access only :
- Complete catalogues or selected recordings of over 640 labels such as ARC, Berlin Classics, BIS, Capriccio, Chandos, EMI Classics, Erato, Hänssler Classic, Hungaroton, Naïve, Naxos, Nimbus, Ondine, Virgin Classics and Warner Classics
- Classical, Jazz, World, Classic Rock, Nostalgia music
- Wide range of standard and specialist repertoire
- More than 120,120 CD-length recordings equivalent to 1,756,800 tracks uploaded, with addition of over than 800 CD-length recordings every month
- Music notes, cover artwork, tracklist, instrumentation and publisher information
- Libretti and synopses of more than 700 operas
- More than 40,000 composer and artist biographies
- Pronunciation guide for composer and artist names
- Glossary, guide to musical terms and work analyses
- Interactive music courses for Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Korea, UK and USA
- Graded music-exam playlists (ABRSM, Trinity/Guildhall)
- Junior section
- Regular podcasts
Britannica’s Academic Edition is an ideal resource to start any research project and to meet the need for foundational research content. A reliable and trusted resource, Britannica introduces thousands of subjects through in-depth, thoroughly researched articles, and makes wider reading and further research easy.