Applying Worldwide


Applying to universities worldwide

There are thousands of universities in the world that welcome applications from international students. Our students come from different backgrounds and some may choose to go back home whilst others may want to experience other countries and cultures. There are opportunities to remain in Qatar for those who wish to stay here and if not, we are here to support any choices our students will make.

Please find below some information and a brief guide to applying to universities in some of the more popular options:

Each university and college in the USA sets its own admission standards and decides which applicants meet those standards.

Having one choice is simply not enough and students are encouraged to apply to several universities or colleges to increase their chances of acceptance. It is important to remember that students are competing with international and local students from all over the world for a limited number of spaces.

Most schools in the USA encourage prospective international students to contact their admissions office at least one year before planning to enter that school.

Things to consider

  • Many colleges give the ability to apply early decision. What this means is if you really like a university and are set on that university as your top choice, early decision gives you the opportunity to apply and be accepted at an earlier date to that university. There are restrictions to this as you are typically allowed to only apply early decision to one university and are required to attend if you are admitted.

    The chances of getting accepted through early decision are higher than applying through the normal admissions processes, and getting accepted through early decision helps you avoid a stressful spring waiting for admissions decisions. If you are accepted by an early decision, you are legally bound to attend that institution, so you should only apply for an early decision for one university that you are certain you would want to attend
  • Entry Examinations - Most universities in the US require foreign applicants to take an English as a second language test, such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) exams for undergraduates or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) for postgraduates.

    You should aim to complete these exams a year before you want to start university, usually in the month of August in Year 13 is highly recommended as you can redo examinations if you are not satisfied with the result. You can also sit for the examinations in Year 12 if you feel confident.
  • The Common Application - a centralised process for 600 US universities – opens for applications on 1 August. It is a good idea to have already narrowed down your university choices by the time the applications open, so that the entire process will take about 18 months. It is important to start planning in Year 12 and narrowing down your choices. Please visit:
  • Funding - American universities offer two types of funding: financial aid, which is needs-tested, and scholarships, which reward academic excellence. Much of this funding is reserved for domestic students and is very competitive for internationals. Nonetheless, it is more common for international students to secure university funding after their first year of study at the college. Funding will rarely cover the full costs of tuition, and may oblige the student to work for the university as part of the funding agreement. Planning for this should start in Year 12 – spring/summer time.
  • Visas for International Students - There are three types of visas for international students in the US: F1 for academic studies; J1 for practical training not available in your home country; and M1 for vocational studies. If you are applying for an academic degree or English language course, you can be issued an F1 visa – the most common for international students. With exceptions, you will be obliged to return to your home country within 60 days of completing your degree. You will have to pay a visa application fee and must have been accepted at a US university when you make the application. For more information please visit:
  • Admission Decisions - Admission decisions are usual received by post or email in Spring of Year 13. Upon your decision you will need to notify the university and pay a non-refundable deposit followed by a visa application. For more information please visit:

Currently there are more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programmes offered in Canada as well as professional degree programmes and certificates. Regardless of the programmes, a Canadian degree is globally recognized and considered equivalent to those from America and other Commonwealth universities. Canadian Universities normally require the completion of 12 years of primary and secondary education.

Applying to Canada

In Canada, each university has its own entrance requirements and will assess you on an individual basis. However, graduation from a secondary school and good academic standing are typically the minimum requirements for undergraduate study.

Some provinces allow you to complete one form online through an agency that submits your application to a number of universities. Remember that these services process all applications for admission, but the admission decision is still in the hand of the universities.

You may need to supply official documentation, such as transcripts from secondary or postsecondary school. It may be necessary to have those documents assessed and translated into English or French. For more information please visit:

Application procedures vary by province and in some of them you can apply directly through the application centers. In others, you must apply directly to the university. You may also want to apply to more than one program or university in case you aren’t admitted to your first choice.

Application Centers in Canada

Application Deadlines

Deadlines vary, but generally, you should apply at least eight to twelve months in advance. Typical entry points for international students are the September and January semesters. However, many universities have a “rolling admissions” procedure to consider international students throughout the year.

Once you’ve received a letter of acceptance from a Canadian university, you must apply for a study permit if you intend to study in Canada for six months or longer. You must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. For more information on visas please visit:

For studying in Quebec you most obtain an acceptance certificate:

Canadian universities do not require SAT/ACT tests.

Australian and New Zealand qualifications are internationally recognized and are well regarded by employers worldwide. Most degree courses start February so many students plan a gap year programme or work between leaving Year 13 and starting university in February, although some courses do offer students the opportunity to start studying in semester 2 (July). This is due to the fact that the academic year in Australia and New Zealand does not start until February. This would mean that you would be applying for an unconditional offer.

You can apply for admission anywhere between 18 and three months before a course starts. It is important to note that some courses – including medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy, fine arts and performance, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level – are likely to have earlier application deadlines. You will need to check this directly with the university you are applying to.

International Applicants

You can apply directly to the university of your choice. Universities will generally issue conditional offers for undergraduate courses on the basis that a student’s predicted results meet the entry requirements for the course. This would then change to unconditional if the requirements were met when the final results were published. If you hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship then you will be classed as a domestic student in both Australia and New Zealand.

Each university has their own document requirements. You will need to check directly with them however in principle you will need the following documents:

  • Original GCSE and AS certificates or equivalent. If you are applying before you have completed your final exams then you will also need to provide an official letter from your school or college stating what you are predicted to achieve in these. If you are applying with your final results then you will need to provide your original exam certificates.
  • Photocopy of your passport. This does not need to be verified at this stage if posted.
  • A personal statement is not compulsory for making an application to a university but it is recommended you include one as it gives you the opportunity to express to the admissions team why you would like to be considered for the programme, and also to highlight any achievements outside of academia
  • The vast majority of undergraduate courses do not require additional tests of any kind. The main exception to this is if you are applying for undergraduate entry to medicine and dentistry programmes. The majority of these will require you to sit an admissions test. If you are applying for a creative programme such as fine art or music performance you may be required to submit a portfolio of work
  • If you apply online for admission to an institution you will still need to provide correctly verified documents before your application can be assessed.
  • The length of time that it takes to process an application depends on what type of programme you have applied for. The average time for a university to process an application for an undergraduate degree is between four and six weeks.

Student Visa Application - Australia

You need to apply for a student visa. To be granted a student visa you must complete a visa application form, lodge it with the evidence required, pay the application charge and satisfy the student visa requirements. You can be granted a student visa only if you intend to study a registered course on a full-time basis and meet with a number of visa conditions after you have entered Australia.

Applications are typically lodged online, although you may be able to apply by post or in person at your designated Australian visa office. The amount of evidence you are required to provide with your application will depend on your country of origin and intended education provider. Please visit this site for more information on process and costs:

Student Visa Application – New Zealand

The New Zealand student visa will allow you to study in Australia for a period of up to 4 years. Like in Australia, there are certain requirements you must meet in order to be legible to apply. Please go to the following link for more detailed information:

Useful Websites:

Many students are opting to study in other European Countries (excluding UK) for various reasons. There around 1,300 institutions offering high quality study programmes with moderate or low tuition fees. You have the opportunity to study in different languages such as in English, Spanish, German, French or Italian.

The Europass certification scheme means that all EC countries now recognize each other’s Higher Education qualifications (

It is important to check whether you are attending a private or public university. If it is publically funded then you will have the right to be treated equally with home students in terms of the course fees. You will need to check with each university as to what their requirements are.

You can choose from many countries that offer English taught programmes such as:

Useful Websites: